Written by Kate Curry
What is Worsted Weight Yarn?
Silk Roving Worsted Weight Yarn is hands down our most popular type of yarn! Worsted weight yarn is any type of yarn that has a thickness that will create 4 inches of work from 16-20 stitches. This medium yarn, commonly known as #4 yarn around the world, is hands down the best pick for brand new and advanced crafters alike!
How Is Worsted Weight Yarn Made?
At Darn Good Yarn, our yarn is handmade out of reclaimed and recycled materials by our artisans in India. Our artisans recycle silk cocoons, recycled and reclaimed clothing items, waste silk remnants, and small scraps from weaving and textile factories and combine all of these together to be bleached and treated. These fibers are cleaned before the fiber is spun in large roving machines by our artisans. From here, the yarn is further spun, dyed, and caked by our artisans by hand! Our worsted weight silk yarn is a labor of love that helps support our artisans and their families.
Tips & Tricks For Worsted Weight Yarn
Length/Weight: 75 yards/50 grams
Yarn Weight: 4 - Medium
Yarn Material: Recycled Silk
Needle Size: US 7-9 (4.5 - 5.5mm)
Hook Size: US I/9-K/10.5 (5.5 - 6.5mm)
Gauge: K- 16-20 /4", C- 11-14 /4"
Physical Quality: Soft and Silky!
How to clean: Dry Clean
Best for: Knitting, Crocheting, Needlepoint, Embroidery, Tatting - Check out our Fun and Games Scarf, The Magnolia Beanie, Tiered Plant Hanger and Mystic Mountain Shrug
- Warm and snuggly! Great for cooler temperatures.
- Super soft, one of the softest yarns we have.
- Amazing colorways, including sparkle options!
- Great weight for beginners
- Very durable~!
- Works up quickly
- One of the most popular yarn for a wide variety of patterns and projects
- Trying to come up with cons for this yarn has been the most difficult thing I’ve done in months.
- Can be too warm for summer weather.
- If worked too roughly, the roving can become fuzzy and tear.
What Can I Make With Worsted Weight Yarn?
- Granny Square Projects
- Wall Hangings