Darn Good Blog
Sometime after starting this business I found myself empowered by the strength and resilience that arose from a dark time in my life. Out of that a deep seeded passion and “calling”, if you will, sprung forth. It is my driving force to empower women globally, to pour beauty and courage back into the women of the world who need it most. This is just one small way we are going to do that. With every single skirt purchased from this listing, we will give one skirt to a survivor of domestic violence. There is no courage quite as astounding as these survivors. Will you join us? Be a part of our tribe? Help support these women with us? Speak above the voice of injustice with us?
Here’s to strong women
May we know them
May we raise them
May we be them
May we be a community that builds each other
May we value our sisters hearts and lives as much as our own
May we root for each other and watch each other grow
May we lead each other to the water when our hearts are weary
May we be a tribe that loves fiercely, roars ferociously, and stands firmly united against injustice.
Be Strong. Be Courageous. Be Beautiful, Tribe. <3
- Amanda Schermerhorn
$500 Darn Good Yarn Gift Card Giveaway
Do you love Darn Good Yarn? Well now is your chance to win a $500 Darn Good Yarn Gift Card so you can build up your yarn stash and twirl the day away in a new sari skirt!
Contest Period: 5/11/17 - 6/7/17
Click HERE to enter!
Not sure what you would spend $500 on? Here are some great new products:
Official Contest Rules
NO PURCHASE IS NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. A PURCHASE DOES NOT INCREASE THE CHANCES OF WINNING.
- Eligibility: This Campaign is open only to those who sign up for our newsletter and who are 18 or older as of the date of entry.The Campaign is only open to legal residents of the United States, and is void where prohibited by law. Employees of Darn Good Yarn, its affiliates, subsidiaries, advertising and promotion agencies, and suppliers, (collectively the “Employees”), and immediate family members and/or those living in the same household of Employees are not eligible to participate in the Campaign. The Campaign is subject to all applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations. Void where prohibited.
- Agreement to Rules: By participating, the Contestant (“You”) agree to be fully unconditionally bound by these Rules, and You represent and warrant that You meet the eligibility requirements. In addition, You agree to accept the decisions of Darn Good Yarn as final and binding as it relates to the content of this Campaign.
- Campaign Period: Entries will be accepted online starting on 5/11/17, 12:00pm est and ending 6/7/17, 11:59 pm est. All online entries must be received by 6/8/17, 11:55pm est.
- How to Enter: The Campaign must be entered by submitting the following entry form: https://www.rafflecopter.com/rafl/display/b3fb671b4/ . The entry must fulfill all Campaign requirements, as specified, to be eligible to win a prize. Entries that are incomplete or do not adhere to the rules or specifications may be disqualified at the sole discretion of Darn Good Yarn.
- Prizes: The Winner(s) of the Campaign (the “Winner”) will receive a $500 Darn Good Yarn Gift Card. Actual/appraised value may differ at time of prize award. The specifics of the prize shall be solely determined by Darn Good Yarn. No cash or other prize substitution shall be permitted except at Darn Good Yarn discretion. The prize is nontransferable. Any and all prize-related expenses, including without limitation any and all federal, state, and/or local taxes, shall be the sole responsibility of Winner. No substitution of prize or transfer/assignment of prize to others or request for the cash equivalent by Winner is permitted. Acceptance of prize constitutes permission for Darn Good Yarn to use Winner’s name, likeness, and entry for purposes of advertising and trade without further compensation, unless prohibited by law.
- Odds: The odds of winning depend on the number of eligible entries received.
- Winner Selection and Notification: Winner will be selected randomly. Winner will be notified by email within five (5) days following selection of Winner. Darn Good Yarn shall have no liability for Winner’s failure to receive notices due to spam, junk e-mail or other security settings or for Winner’s provision of incorrect or otherwise non-functioning contact information. If Winner cannot be contacted, is ineligible, fails to claim the prize within 10 days from the time award notification was sent, or fails to timely return a completed and executed declaration and release as required, the prize may be forfeited and an alternate Winner selected. Receipt by Winner of the prize offered in this Campaign is conditioned upon compliance with any and all federal, state, and local laws and regulations. ANY VIOLATION OF THESE OFFICIAL RULES BY WINNER (AT Darn Good Yarn]‘S SOLE DISCRETION) WILL RESULT IN WINNER’S DISQUALIFICATION AS WINNER OF THE CAMPAIGN, AND ALL PRIVILEGES AS WINNER WILL BE IMMEDIATELY TERMINATED.
- Rights Granted by You: By entering this content (e.g., photo, video, text, etc.), You understand and agree that Darn Good Yarn, anyone acting on behalf of Darn Good Yarn, and Darn Good Yarn’s licensees, successors, and assigns, shall have the right, where permitted by law, to print, publish, broadcast, distribute, and use in any media now known or hereafter developed, in perpetuity and throughout the World, without limitation, your entry, name, portrait, picture, voice, likeness, image, statements about the Campaign, and biographical information for news, publicity, information, trade, advertising, public relations, and promotional purposes. without any further compensation, notice, review, or consent. Optional verbiage for Contests: By entering this content, You represent and warrant that your entry is an original work of authorship, and does not violate any third party’s proprietary or intellectual property rights. If your entry infringes upon the intellectual property right of another, You will be disqualified at the sole discretion of Darn Good Yarn. If the content of your entry is claimed to constitute infringement of any proprietary or intellectual proprietary rights of any third party, You shall, at your sole expense, defend or settle against such claims. You shall indemnify, defend, and hold harmless Darn Good Yarn from and against any suit, proceeding, claims, liability, loss, damage, costs or expense, which Darn Good Yarn may incur, suffer, or be required to pay arising out of such infringement or suspected infringement of any third party’s right.
- Terms & Conditions: Darn Good Yarn reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the Campaign should virus, bug, non-authorized human intervention, fraud, or other cause beyond Darn Good Yarn’s control corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, or proper conduct of the Campaign. In such case, Darn Good Yarn may select the Winner from all eligible entries received prior to and/or after (if appropriate) the action taken by Darn Good Yarn. Darn Good Yarn reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to disqualify any individual who tampers or attempts to tamper with the entry process or the operation of the Campaign or website or violates these Terms & Conditions. Darn Good Yarn has the right, in its sole discretion, to maintain the integrity of the Campaign, to void votes for any reason, including, but not limited to: multiple entries from the same user from different IP addresses; multiple entries from the same computer in excess of that allowed by Campaign rules; or the use of bots, macros, scripts, or other technical means for entering. Any attempt by an entrant to deliberately damage any website or undermine the legitimate operation of the Campaign may be a violation of criminal and civil laws. Should such attempt be made, Darn Good Yarn reserves the right to seek damages to the fullest extent permitted by law.
- Limitation of Liability: By entering, You agree to release and hold harmless Darn Good Yarn and its subsidiaries, affiliates, advertising and promotion agencies, partners, representatives, agents, successors, assigns, employees, officers, and directors from any liability, illness, injury, death, loss, litigation, claim, or damage that may occur, directly or indirectly, whether caused by negligence or not, from: (i) such entrant’s participation in the Campaign and/or his/her acceptance, possession, use, or misuse of any prize or any portion thereof; (ii) technical failures of any kind, including but not limited to the malfunction of any computer, cable, network, hardware, or software, or other mechanical equipment; (iii) the unavailability or inaccessibility of any transmissions, telephone, or Internet service; (iv) unauthorized human intervention in any part of the entry process or the Promotion; (v) electronic or human error in the administration of the Promotion or the processing of entries.
- Disputes: THIS Campaign IS GOVERNED BY THE LAWS OF THE UNITED STATES AND NEW YORK, WITHOUT RESPECT TO CONFLICT OF LAW DOCTRINES. As a condition of participating in this Campaign, participant agrees that any and all disputes that cannot be resolved between the parties, and causes of action arising out of or connected with this Campaign, shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action, exclusively before a court located in New York having jurisdiction. Further, in any such dispute, under no circumstances shall participant be permitted to obtain awards for, and hereby waives all rights to, punitive, incidental, or consequential damages, including reasonable attorney’s fees, other than participant’s actual out-of-pocket expenses (i.e. costs associated with entering this Campaign). Participant further waives all rights to have damages multiplied or increased.
- Winners List: To obtain a copy of the Winner’s name or a copy of these Official Rules, mail your request along with a stamped, self-addressed envelope to: Darn Good Yarn, 22 N. College St., Schenectady, NY 12305. Requests must be received no later than 6/22/17 11:59 pm est.
- Sponsor: The Sponsor of the Campaign is Darn Good Yarn, 22 N. College St., Schenectady, NY 12305
- Facebook: If you use Facebook to communicate or administer a contest or sweepstakes, include the following: The Campaign hosted by Darn Good Yarn is in no way sponsored, endorsed, administered by, or associated with Facebook.
15. By checking here, You, the Contestant, have affirmatively reviewed, accepted, and agreed to all of the Official Rules.
- Keri O'Brien
Mother's Day Giveaway
We love and want to celebrate all the amazing and beautiful Momma's out there so we've pulled together this gorgeous basket of our Premium yarn, Yarn Bowl, a couple of Sari Silk Wrap Skirts and some other Darn Good Yarn goodies. Just click the link below to enter. Hurry though because it's only going on for a couple of days!
Don't forget to share it with all the other ladies in your life too <3a Rafflecopter giveaway
- Nicole Snow
Spread the joy. Join the Change.
Morgan sent the link below over to the team a couple of days ago and I have to tell you that we had no idea this article was being written. When I read things like this or one of you reaches out to tell us how you feel connected and that it makes you feel good knowing that you're truly making a difference in someones life through your Darn Good Yarn purchase, it seriously makes my heart feel so full of love and joy. This is why I started this company... I want each of us to be the most creative version of ourselves and to feel connected and empowered on a global level.
Here's a small excerpt from the article, make sure to check out the link below for the entire write up
Intrigued by the idea of helping women support themselves and encouraged by the hundreds of positive reviews on Darn Good Yarn’s web site, Anderton took advantage of a buy one get one offer and ordered two silk custom made Sari wrap skirts. Upon delivery, she was dazzled by the rich, vibrant patterns, the luxurious fabric and the meticulous workmanship. In fact, she was so impressed she dashed to her PC to place another order for two more skirts while the BOGO offer was still in effect.
“These are the most beautiful articles of clothing I’ve ever worn,” said Anderton. “Furthermore, I feel good about myself – inside and out -wearing them, knowing my purchases helped women to become and remain independent.”
Cass Currie, 2017, Pennsylvania Bridges, Social Media Inspires Social Change: Leveling the Field, http://pabridges.com/more/social-media-inspires-social-change-leveling-the-field/
- Amanda Schermerhorn
A Story of Why PomPoms, Yarn and Social Media Changed Me For The Better
We are so excited to introduce you to our friend Erin from Radiant Fibers. She is seriously amazing you guys! She designed our Tiered Air Plant Hanger and she just did this awesome pattern for us too. So read on and hear what she has to say...
There Is Radiance In All That We Make
This hat has a lot of story attached to it… but before I dive in, I want to introduce myself!
My name is Erin, and I love making things. Like most creative people, I love sharing this gift with the world, and seeing the smiles and joy it brings others. I also love making things because it is where I feel most at home. Time shifts when I am creating. Finding that thing that makes time slip by effortlessly is a gift I hope everyone feels in their lives.
I run an Etsy shop, and share my creations under the LLC Radiant Fibers, which you can find on Instagram and Twitter as @Radiant_Fibers, or you can find me at radiantfibers.com. The name took some thought. I wanted something that felt like my personality; shiny, bright, confident, empowering, and that represented more than just yarn… Radiant Fibers. Like the fibers we’re all made up of, we’re radiant through ever part of our beings, and the things we create from the fibers of our natural world reflect that inner beauty.
Getting to the story behind the hat… After moving to Colorado almost three years ago, I struggled. Moving was difficult for me but I found my footing and kept going, building Radiant Fibers and establishing connections with other artists in the area. One such friend and mentor is another Erin. A Oula dance instructor, self-employed artist and photographer and all around amazing person. Erin has helped me in so many ways, including the photography for this pattern!
We went to scope out a local ice cream shop, Sweet Cooies, because their décor and lighting is to die for. We had so much fun with this shoot, and it represents a lot of growth for me as a person, crocheter, artist and entrepreneur.
The fact that this hat is made with Darn Good Yarn just takes it to a whole other level! The banana fiber is eco-friendly (I was an environmental sustainability major at university), it’s soft and beautifully shiny and unique (pleasing my adoration of interesting textures) and it’s hand spun by women’s coops in India (giving back and doing good). Plus the wool is sustainable too, a beautiful warm toned grey, and it’s also hand spun. Knowing where your materials come from makes a huge difference for the finished product – it changes the vibe. It’s tangible.
I found Darn Good Yarn online years ago, and have loved their yarns ever since. Growing Radiant Fibers has been mostly focused on Instagram, and I share lots of my work there. After posting some creations made with Darn Good Yarn, they reached out to work with me on a pattern. I jumped at the chance, excited to work with a company I so admire.
The idea to put two pompoms on top came from my fiancé’s younger sister, who wanted a hat made just for her with two pompoms (because she loves pandas). I couldn’t have made this piece without so much input from those around me – and it wouldn’t have come to fruition without my drive to keep going. And the connections wouldn’t have been made without the magic of social media and the internet. This is the beauty of the creative landscape today.
We support one another, our distance shortened by screens. Artists to artists, creative to creative. We see what others do not; our eyes trained to pick up on potential. Opportunity in otherwise discarded material. Gifts in our own simple yet complex hands. Skills we’ve learned and can share and honor with our projects. We have the vision for the future. This is why I love Darn Good Yarn. It reminds me that there is so much story to be told in our materials. More heart to the small business we support. And that love is truly woven into the fabric of our lives.
- Nicole Snow