Have you ever shopped with an online yarn store? Shopping for yarn has an excitement and satisfaction that other shopping just does not give you. At one time, you only had the choice to buy in-store, but today, you have far greater options with all that is available with online yarn shops. Each shopping experience has its own merits and drawbacks, but the smart shopper will make the best of both worlds. If you have avoided buying yarn online, we are here to tell what you've been missing!
Buying Yarn In-Person
Historically, and for several reasons, we've always shopped for yarn based on what brick and mortar stores have to offer:
- They're usually nearby
- You can touch and smell (do you do this too?!) the yarn
- You can color match to your work by bringing it with you
Despite these advantages of convenience, there are also some drawbacks!
- Stock is limited to the store's space
- Within the stock that is available, dye lots may not match
- The number of in-person yarn shops is dwindling every year
- A trip to the store takes away from precious time you could be working on a project!
Advantages of Buying Yarn OnlineThink of shopping yarn online as personal access to your vendors.
- The online shops want you to buy, so there are often incentives in the form of first time and bulk discounts, buying in bulk to nab a volume dye lot in a single purchase, membership exclusives, etc.
- The yarn is delivered right to your door. You don't have to put on pants, leave the house, or stop working on your current project!
- Online access to experts - Here at Darn Good Yarn we have in-house fiber and yarn experts who are always available to help you choose the right yarn for your projects.
- You still get to use your senses to choose yarn! Most online yarn companies (Darn Good Yarn included, of course) do a great job of describing the properties of the yarn so you still get a good feel for what you're purchasing.