Before You Start
This pom pom garland is a great way to add some fun and color to your holiday decorating this season. (We like the looks of ours so much, that we plan on keeping it up for awhile!) For this project, you only need a few simple materials. It’s great to work on with friends, family, or with a big glass of wine - our favorite!
Step By Step
- Darn Good Yarn’s 100% Hemp Lace Weight Yarn
- Darn Good Yarn’s Mirrored Felt Pom Poms
- Darn Good Yarn’s Small Felt Pom Poms
- Needle with a medium sized head (you should be able to fit the hemp through the eye of the needle)
- Optional: Pliers
Cut hemp into a 6 ft long strand and thread hemp into the eye of the needle.
Insert threaded needle into the middle of a pom pom
Push the needle all the way through the pom pom (Note: We found that using a pair of small pliers was super helpful here! If you decide to use pliers, just take the pliers to the pointy end of the needle, and simultaneously pull the pom pom down the needle towards the hemp and the pliers in opposite directions)
Pull the pom pom down to strand of hemp.
Continue to add pom poms to the hemp, using the method above, until you are out of pom poms. Alternate with the various sizes and colors here - there is no right or wrong way to do this!
When you have finished feel free to experiment with the spacing between each pom pom. (Our garland has about 2 centimeters worth of space in between each pom pom!)
Show off your work! Tag us @darngoodyarn on Instagram and Facebook :)
Not sure what to do with your new garland? Here are some ways we used ours:
- Inside, hung alongside white christmas lights
- Inside, hung off a mantle
- Entwined in a wreath
- As a table or shelf accessory
- A fun ribbon on a present
- Optional: Pliers
- Even as a necklace! (Just tie the ends of the hemp together)
Interested in these burlap placemats? Check back in for next weeks #tutorialtuesday :)