Written by Kate Curry
What is Sport Weight Silk Yarn
Our best selling lace weight silk yarn grew up into a sport weight! Made from recycled silk, this yarn is full of colorful dimensions, creating a balance between fun and delicate! Soft and silky, this yarn is both handmade and hand-dyed by our amazing artisans in India.
Made out of recycled silk, silk materials and fabrics are gathered, saved, and donated and are torn so they can be spun into the thin, silky, and soft sport weight yarn that you know and love. If you’re looking for a thin yarn that isn’t lace or thread thin, this would be the best yarn for you.
Tips & Tricks
Just like lace weight, you’re going to want to ball it! In my experience, to work with this yarn, you will need to ball or cake the yarn using a swift and baller. Due to the yarn’s thickness, it can easily tangle and it can become very frustrating very quickly. Put the work in winding so you don’t get mad later! It’s 1000% worth it.
I love to combine sport weight with lace weight to create thick silk yarn with gorgeous color combinations and twine! With a ton of lace weight options, you can mix and match with our sport weight silk yarn to create some stunning combos!
- Length: 50g/200 yards
- Yarn Weight: 2 - Sport
- Yarn Material: Recycled Silk
- Needle Size: US 3-5
- Hook Size: US E-4 - 7
- Physical Quality: Soft and Silky!
- How to clean: Dry Clean
- Best for: Knitting, Crocheting, Weaving, Mixed Media
- Thicker than lace weight, but not as thick as DK or worsted weight - the perfect medium
- Super silky
- Good amount of yardage
- Flowy and airy for delicate projects
- Great for detailing and edging
- Not as many colorways as our lace weight or worsted weight options
- Can pop and break if your tension is very tight
- Still a little too thin for first time crafters
- Larger projects take a long time to work up
What Can I Make With Sport Weight Silk Yarn?
- Purses & Bags