BEFORE YOU START
Who doesn't love to layer? The Serendipity Lace Weight Silk Knit Shawl is the perfect layer to throw on (or in your bag) for practical yet stylish warmth. Also known as the Morus Shawl, the Serendipity Lace Weigh Silk Knit Shawl was crafted by the talented Rachel Pettit.
Ready to get started? Order your kit HERE!
Skill Level: Easy
- 2 Skeins of Darn Good Yarn Lace Weight Silk Yarn (In Grandma’s Silver)
- US 4 (3.5 mm), 32 Inch Circular Needle (not included)
- US 2 (2.75 mm), 32 Inch Circular Needle (not included)
- Scissors (not included)
- Linen Stitch Gauge: 34 stitches per 4 inches on US 4
- Stockinette Stitch Gauge: 30 stitches per 4 inches on US 2
- Gauge Notes: Because linen stitch and stockinette create much different fabrics when knitted on the same size needle, swatch first in linen stitch for the density of fabric desired, then go down needle sizes for the stockinette section of the swatch until getting fabric that has similar visual and tactile qualities.
- Finished dimensions: 43 inches wide at the widest point by 26 inches long at center
- This shawl uses bands of linen stitch and stockinette to display the subtle silvery purple tones and the beautiful, slight variations that make this single ply silk sing in softness and strength. A combination of two different increase stitches make for seamless growth in the linen stitch sections’ texture.
ABBREVIATIONSBO: Bind Off
CO: Cast On
KFB: increase by knitting into the front and back loop
M1L: make one left leaning stitch by picking up the ladder between stitches from front
to back then knitting into the back of the created loop
M1R: make one right leaning stitch left by picking up the ladder between stitches from
back to front then knitting into the front of the created loop
SL1 WYIB: slip one stitch purlwise with yarn held in the back
SL1 WYIF: slip one stitch purlwise with yarn held in the front
LINEN STITCH PATTERN
Row 1: k1, m1r, sl1 wyif, *k1, sl1 wyif* to last st, m1l, k1
Row 2: *p1, sl1 wyib* to last st, p1
Row 3: k1, kfb, sl1 wyif, *k1, sl1 wyif* to last 2 sts, kfb, k1
Row 4: p2, sl1 wyib, *p1, sl1 wyib* to last 2 sts, p2
STOCKINETTE STITCH PATTERN
Row 1: k1, kfb, k to last 2 sts, kfb, k1
Row 2: p all sts
Begin: on larger needle, co 5 sts
Row 1: k1, sl1 wyif, k1, sl1 wyif, k1
Row 2: p2, sl1 wyib, p2
Continue: in linen stitch for 7 inches, ending on row 4
Work: stockinette for 9 inches, ending on row 2
Work: linen stitch for 3 inches, ending on row 4
Work: stockinette for 2 inches, ending on row 2
Work: linen stitch for 1 inch, ending on row 4
Work: stockinette for 3 inches, ending on row 2
Work: linen stitch for 1.5 inches
End: bo loosely, weave in ends. steam block very gently if desired.