Welcome to Darn Good Yarn, where we transform the ordinary into the extraordinary. Our journey began 15 years ago from Nicole’s spare bedroom with a simple yet powerful mission: to make sustainability affordable, colorful and fun. With Darn Good Yarn, you're not just buying a product; you're supporting a movement for a greener, more beautiful world.
And speaking of magic, don't miss out on our collection of free patterns, including the Harmony Headband! At DGY, we're all about sharing the joy of crafting, and our free patterns are a testament to that spirit. Whether you're a seasoned crafter or just starting, you'll find inspiration in our ever-growing library of free patterns. So, grab your yarn, your needles/hook, and let your creativity run wild!
Harmony Headband: Knit Pattern
Skill Level: Easy
By: Darn Good Yarn
- 1 Cake of Darn Good Twist Sport Weight Yarn
- US Size 4 (3.5mm) 16" Circular Knitting Needles
- 2 Stitch Markers (To denote edge stitches)
- Tapestry needle and scissors
- 1/2" Button
- K: knit
- P: purl
- YO: yarn over
- RS: right side
WS: wrong side
- K2tog: knit 2 together (right leaning decrease)
- SL 1, K1, PPSO: slip 1, knit 1, pass the slipped stitch over the knitted stitch
- KFB: knit in front & back of same stitch
- Finished Dimensions: Approximately 26” W x 5” L
- Gauge: 6sts x6 rows to the inch using size 4 circulars
- Measure your head where you want the headband to fit and work the pattern until it is 3” less than your head measurement. Note: the headband will stretch.
The PatternCast on 5 stitches using the long tail cast on.
- Row 1: knit all stitches
- Row 2: K1, kfb, k1, kfb, kl
- Row 3: knit all stitches
- Row 4: K1, kfb, knit to 2 stitches before the end of the row, kfb, k1
- Row 1: K1, p1, k1, purl 3, place marker, purl to 6 stitches before the end of the row, place marker, purl 3, k1, p1, k1
- Row 2: K1, p1, k5, [YO, sl1, k1, psso] twice, knit 3, [k2tog, YO] twice, k5, p1, k1
- Row 3 and all odd rows: K1, P1, K1, purl to 3 stitches before the end of the row, k1, p1, k1
- Row 4: K1, p1, k6 [YO, sl 1, k1, psso] twice, k1, [k2tog, YO] twice, K6, p1, k1
- Row 6: K1, p1, k7, YO, sl 1, k1, psso, YO, sl 1, k2tog, psso, YO, k2tog, YO, k7, p1, k1
- Row 8: K1, p1, k8, YO, sl 1, k2tog, psso, YO, k2tog, YO, K8, P1, K1
- Row 10: K1, p1, k8, [k2tog, YO} twice, K9, p1, k1
- Row 12: K1, p1, k7 [k2tog, YO] twice, K1, YO, sl 1, k1, psso, k7, p1, k1
- Row 14: K1, p1, k6 [k2tog, YO] twice, K1 [YO, sl 1, k1, psso] twice, k6, p1, k1
- Row 16: K1, p1, k5 [k2tog, YO] twice, k3 [YO, sl 1, k1, psso] twice, k5, p1 k1
- Row 18: [k2tog, YO] twice, k5 [YO, sl 1, k1, psso] twice
Repeat rows 1-18 until the piece measure 3” less than desired.
Knit 2 rows
- Row 19 (RS): K1, sl 1, k1, psso, knit to last 3 stitches, k2tog, k1
- Row 20 (WS): Knit all stitches
- Row 21: K1, sl 1, k1, psso, k1, bind off 3 stitches, k2tog, k1
- Row 22: K3, cast on 3 stitches using the backward loop cast on, k3 (9 stitches)
- Row 23: K1, sl 1, k1, psso, knit to last three stitches, k2tog, k1 (7 stitches)
- Row 24: Knit all stitches
- Row 25: K1, sl 1, k1, psso, knit to last three stitches, k2tog, k1 (5 stitches)
- Row 26: Knit all stitches
Bind off all stitches
Weave in ends and block gently. Sew on button. Enjoy your new headband!
Harmony Headband: Crochet Pattern
Skill Level: Beginner
By: Darn Good Yarn
- 1 Skein of Darn Good Twist Sport Weight Yarn
- US 7 (4.5 mm) Crochet Hook
- Tapestry Needle and Scissors
- Ch: Chain
- MC: Magic Circle
- HDC: Half Double Crochet
- HDC2tog: Half Double Crochet two together - used as a decrease
- St(s): Stitches
- DC: Double Crochet
- Finished Dimensions: 3” W x 50” L (or desired length for wrapping)
- Gauge: (in alternating HDC and DC rows) 4x4 = 19 sts by 10 rows
- CH2 at the beginning of the DC rows COUNTS as a DC
Begin with MC
- Row 1: HDC into MC. Pull MC tight. CH 1 and Turn.
- Row 2: 2HDC. CH 1 and Turn.
- Row 3: 2HDC, HDC to end. Turn.
- Row 4: CH 2 (Counts throughout as DC), DC in remaining Stitches. Turn.
- Row 5: CH 1, 2HDC in first st. HDC in remaining sts.
- Rows 6-25: Repeat rows 4 and 5 (increasing piece will be 10” in length).
- Row 26: CH 2, DC in each stitch (14 sts)
- Row 27: CH 1, HDC in each stitch. (14 sts)
- Rows 28 -102: Repeat Rows 26 and 27 (ending with a row 26 repeat) (14 sts)
- Row 103: CH 1, HDC2tog and HDC in all remaining sts.
- Rows 104: CH 2, DC across.
- Rows 105 to 123: Repeat rows 103 and 104 until 3 sts remain.
- Row 124: CH1, HDC, HDC2tog.
- Row 125: CH1, HDC2tog.
- Row 126: CH1, HDC.
Bind off and weave in all ends.
Ready to Get Started? Get the Yarn Here!
Join our vibrant community today!
Sign up for email updates HERE to stay in the loop with our latest releases, exclusive offers, and crafting inspiration. Plus, you can spin to win up to a $100 gift card as our way of saying thanks. Let's craft together and make the world more sustainable and beautiful. Join us now!