We heart it: Relationship Goals
Do you know why I love February 14th so much? Well, it's a beautiful day full of love<3, chocolate & the halfway point of being done with February---bringing us closer to Spring!! :) But, all jokes aside, it is a beautiful day to celebrate the pairing of two people (or yarns) that compliment & bring out the best in each other all while making beautiful creations together.
- Kate Nitti
- Tags: arm knit blanket arm knitting arm knitting blanket best monthly subscription boxes best subscription box best subscription boxes darn good yarn darngoodyarn DIY handcraft handmade handspun india inspiration journey knitting monthly subscription boxes for women sari silk subscription box subscription box for crafters subscription box for crafts subscription box for women subscription boxes thick and thin yarn throw blankets unique women yarn
The Women Behind It All: Meet Biwi
This is absolutely going to be my favorite part of each of these 3 part series. I get to introduce you to the amazing women artisans who make our products; the very reason this company is what it is. I couldn't be more thrilled <3
So without further ado, meet Biwi Chunni. She works with one of our cooperatives and makes the yarn many of you use. There are 10 people in her family and include herself, her husband, 4 sons and 4 daughters. (And I thought just one was a handful.) :)
The Art of the JourneyMy mind is always going a million miles a minute but there are certain things that linger in the back. Included are our artisans that we work with. We all have a story. I don’t know all of your stories and there are parts of my story that you don’t know either, but somehow, in someway, we are all connected. You see, I interact with my domestic employees on a daily basis and I get to interact with each of you on the interwebs, but unless I am face to face, I don’t get to interact with my artisans. I don’t get to hear how their families are doing and what is new in each of their lives. But, what little I do get to know and hear is truly one of my greatest rewards at the end of each day.
- Nicole Snow
- Tags: Arnold Toynbee artisan chiffon chunky knitting clothing color crafting creative lifestyle darn good yarn darngoodyarn empowerement empowering explore fair wages handspun india inspiration intention journey kids summer fun knit knitting nepal new york project reclaim recycled retreat team travel unique unique crafting unique fibers upstate new york win women wool
8 Historical Photos of People Crafting
Okay, so I love black and white photography. I find that surprising because I am such a color fanatic, but it's true. Something about the light and shading that completely captures my eye. The photos show emotion so well with the lack of color.
And older photos can get me to thinking....I almost climb into the photo. One of my favorites is French photographer, Jacques Henri Lartigue, because it feels like one can discover humor, love, and live in his stories. I can just imagine the back story.
I digress! I thought it would be fun to share some photos of crafting. I'm going to add some captions but do take time to venture in to these photos as well. Did you see the net repair photo? Our fiber arts tradition began with fishermen! Fiber arts are a huge part of our lives today but it's fun to consider the past through these photos!
1. This one cracks me up as it looks very contrived. Perhaps a cover for a catalog at one time? I certainly love my knitting but rarely dress for the occasion and never sit in a straight back chair!
I Think I Dropped a Stitch
2. Okay, so this is not a photo. I love this painting of the Monk Knitting by Lytras Nikiphoros. This looks like the knit project may be done, but certainly the monk is deep in thought. You know how we inspect our handwork!
3. Fiber arts are such a broad craft area. This Haidi woman of Massat is weaving a basket. Look closely as this work requires great detail. Note the carving in the background. What an amazing photo! Looking for a simple basket idea? We've got you covered!
We Love Unique!
4. Yep, we are all about creativity, unique fibers, and creating happiness! The stilt shepherds of Landes, in southwest France, were able to care for their sheep in marsh, scrub, and boggy lands because of their stilts. This fellow is working with wool while on his stilts! Talk about multi-tasking!
5. Crochet was absolutely a past-time for royalty such as Alexandra Petrovna- Grand Duchess of Russia. Note her head-wear and adornments are crochet projects that many of us don't know of today! While times have changes, it's exciting to know that what brings us joy has been around for quite some time!
The World Keeps Spinning
6. Spinning is something I would love to learn and is on my crafting list! Being an amateur weaver, spinning seems like a logical progression. I'd love to grab some of our Pulled Silk Fiber and sit right down with these ladies. Imagine the knowledge these ladies could share with us!
Off the Grid
7. This old photograph cracks me up. Mixed media art is definitely the theme of class today. Students have their yarn and their canvas-looks like some type of needle work? For me, I would much prefer a cross stitch kit from Darn Good Yarn!
8. Some of us remember home ec class in school. I have vivid memories of struggling through the sewing portion of that class and the hot pink, wide wale, corduroy jumper that I made. Yuck! Sewing surely has come a long way, baby!
Whatever your craft, we love supporting your creativity. It's fun to look at historical photos to put our traditions in perspective. One of our goals for this year is to create happiness so please ask the Darn Good Yarn team if you need support or have a question!
4 Romantic Ways to Gift Creative People Monthly
Romance lives on! In a world that can often feel full of challenges, romance can bring love, excitement, and share joy in our lives. And remember, romance can come in so many ways so why not be the one to put that sweet "I Love You" idea out there.
While Valentine's Day is a holiday to let your loved one or ones know just how much you care, why not give them a delivery each month? In sending a monthly subscription from Darn Good Yarn, you are reminding that special someone just how much you care! How romantic is that? Here are three of our subscriptions to get you started:
1. Our Darn Good Yarn of the Month subscription is a sweet deal and a fine way to say "I Love You" every month. The really neat thing is that each month your recipient will get a pattern, a skein of one of our unique fibers, and a crafting "goodie". Oh, and this one might be great for self-gifting!
2. Have a bead loving crafter in your life? Our Darn Good Beads of the Month subscription is really going to bring some heartfelt bling to their doorstep! Each box contains high quality beads, facets, and a seasonally themed project with step-by-step instructions for any skill level. With each delivery, you will deliver new techniques and provide new and exciting fair trade materials to that someone special!
3. Perhaps you want to send some of the best of the best each month? The Premium Darn Good Yarn subscription does just that! Bundle your love up with a special delivery each month that will inspire and give options for exploring new creative pathways. We pack each box with the joy of creativity just for the one you love!
Every month, the person you gift will receive a perfectly curated box with 200 grams of yarn, a surprise sample card of yarn and a pattern. The inspiration for our monthly boxes come from artists just like you! Each month, we carefully select an Artist of the Month whose pattern will be featured in an upcoming Darn Good Yarn Club box.
4. Our monthly subscriptions can be a romantic way to keep that love and happiness coming in a special delivery. Here's yet another thought for that creative person- the gift of choice! A Darn Good Yarn gift card! At our house, we say "options are a good thing" and you can get a downloadable gift subscription for Valentine's Day or whenever. We love creating happiness!
Gift cards come in may denominations so pick what works for you and it comes as a speedy download! Why, you could give a gift card every now and then, knowing that your love and thoughtfulness gives the wonderful gift of choice!
Our DGY romantic ways to gift creative people are ideas that keep on giving. Add a bottle of wine, a night out, or a sweet card. Whatever your style, the Darn Good Yarn team would love to hear how you wrapped your romance with Darn Good Yarn!
5 Darn Good Projects from Our FriendsWhat inspires you? And what makes you happy? Every now and then, the Darn Good team gathers up some of the most amazing creations that our family of crafters has made and posts them in a blog. Why? Because we are exponentially inspired by our Darn Good Yarn family and it makes us happy to see what you are making! So, of course, we want to share that inspiration and happiness with all of you!
1. Our new friend, Sandra, shared with us her very first arm knit scarf. Our 30 Minute Arm Knit Scarf Kit is the perfect introduction to arm knitting and our reclaimed chiffon ribbon. Have you tried chiffon ribbon? Sandra likes it so much she had decided to order more!!! She's also really jazzed about the DGY commitment to bettering people's lives.
2. Gifts are just one way that we can reach out and bring a bit of happiness to those we love. Sharing her joy over her wooden yarn bowl, @knittingknight got this gorgeous yarn bowl from her Mom and we love that she wanted to let us know how much she loves this beautiful and practical gift. And look at her gorgeous project!
3. Sari Ribbon at Darn Good Yarn is one of our masterpiece collections. It's not only a recycled fiber, this ribbon also provides fair trade, sustainable work for women in India! Its uses are many and we absolutely find this silk GI tract to be one of the most unique and beautiful pieces we have seen! Thanks to @theartoflfed who used our sari silk ribbon for this GI tract creation and our "gut" tells us this is one amazing piece of fiber art!
4. This hat! So many of us are really loving this eye-catching hat! Remember that sometimes combining fibers can make for such a beautiful partnership! Our DGY friend, @whimsicallyhooked, combines our delicious Spice Market recycled silk and a cotton blend and what a combo! The dark cotton makes the Spice Market really pop, which is what this yarn loves to do anyway!
5. Think green! A DGY team member, Lynneamae, loves to design and play with ideas! She took our Natural Nettle, a plant fiber, and made this sweet satchell! What would you use this adorable nettle bag for? While she has no pattern, @lynneamae is working on putting one together for us!
We love seeing what our Darn Good Yarn family makes. The creations amaze us and we want to hear from you! Be sure to contact us here, find us on facebook, or other social media! Our inspiration for creating happiness comes from seeing what you are making! Please do be in touch! Sharing inspiration creates more happiness!