Blended…not stirred.

January 12, 2010

Hi everyone, I (Nicole, owner of darngoodyarn.com) made a Jane Thornley inspired cowl out of 7 different Darn Good Yarns. It’s soft and is made from an array of recycled silks and banana fibers. It really kept my attention through the entire project. If you need help customizing colors for a similar project we’re happy to work with you, take pictures and get you the special yarn package…a lot of which aren’t directly carried on the site darngoodyarn.com (see video below for more info!).

For this project I utilized, the Blender Yarn, Lux Adventure Recycled Silk Yarn, 4 different banana fiber yarn blends, and 2 recycled silk yarn blends all available on my site (www.darngoodyarn.com). I used size 15 knitting needles, size 17′s and size 19′s.

Depending on what yarns you have around your project will be much different than mine.

I changed my needle sizes each time I changed yarns because the gauge would be different. So you just have to see what works and what’s easiest for you!

My stitch count across varied from 14 stitches to 18 stitches.

My lessons, I would not have incorporated any ribbing, I don’t know what I was thinking, I should have just have stuck to garter, moss(seed) and drop stitches.

Please watch this follow-up video to the video below:

Here you have to get creative and plan your color transitions accordingly. Be flexible and have fun. Change up the stitches change up the yarns…it’s a blast!

**************A change as of 1-12*************

Hi everyone, please thank Lenore, she talked me into providing a rough pattern. Please please please don’t send me nasty-grams about the pattern. I did what I thought was appropriate for the yarn I had on hand, what you do with the yarn you have will surely be different :)

xoxo,

Nicole

using DGY (darn good yarn’s) recycled silk sari ribbon (any type) http://store.darngoodyarn.com/search?q=ribbon and DGY’s Premium Recycled Silk yarn http://store.darngoodyarn.com/products/premium-recycled-silk-yarn, CO 15 on size 17 needles.
knit row one
drop stitch row 2
knit row 3
drop stitch row 4
knit row 5
change the premium recycled silk to recycled resolutions
knit row 6
drop stitch row 7
knit row 8
tie off sari ribbon
tie on 2 strands of DGY banana fiber yarn and 1 strand of Lux Adventure from DGY
work in garter for 3-4 inches check the width on the first row, if it’s too tight you might need to increase to larger needles
tie off 2 the 2 strands of banana fiber and the premium recycled silk
tie on the blender (you are now working with the lux adventure and the blender only)
k1 k2tog knit across row until you have 2 stitches left, k2tog knit, you check to see if this is too wide on 17′s if so, you might have to switch to 15′s
Once you get the gauge right work this for 4-5 inches (this was my favorite part of the cowl so I worked it for a while)-about 5 inches)
tie off blender
tie on recycled resolution and one strand of banana fiber
you might need to move to larger needles here
work in moss stitch ( I did 1x1 rib, but I wish I did moss)
Work this for 3 inches or so or until you get the length your cowl needs to be. BO and attach to the other side

Now you’re done!

If you are looking to make your own project and need extra assistance with choosing colors, Darn Good Yarn carries many yarns and hues which are not show on the website and might be perfect for your project!

Here’s a video:

1. Cheryl says:

Loved your idea & original design. This is a great way to use the wonderful, but expensive, yarns that I have to pass up in the store. Thanks for all your inspiration, Nicole!

2. Yana says:

Love this idea…what is the name of the pattern in a very first picture? Thanks

3. Maria says:

I love the different yarn colors. It will go with everything, it’s a lovely idea. I didn’t see the pattern, but by the pictures, I got ribbing, garter st an maybe drop st.? Can you help me on this please?
    I got plenty of leftover yarns that is not funny.

• nicole says:

Hi Maria This was a free form knitting project. Were you able to see the video I posted on this page? Let me know and I’ll send you a direct link! I will work on the pattern this weekend. :) I was squeamish to put up a pattern because I was just playing with the yarn and combing items that looked cool together.

4. Donna McGee says:

I really expected to see the entire pattern. Wht not?

• nicole says:

Hi Donna, This was a free form knitting project. Were you able to see the video I posted on this page? Let me know and I’ll send you a direct link! I will work on the pattern this weekend.

5. I TOO WAS EXPECTING INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE BLENDED – NOT STIRRED – WILL APPRECIATE YOUR EITHER SENDING TO ME OR LETTING ME KNOW WHEN IT WILL BE POSTED ON YOUR WEBSITE. I WOULD ALSO LIKE TO COMMENT THAT YOUR WEBSITE IS VERY DIFFICULT TO READ DUE TO THE COLORS. IT ALL LOOKS SO INTERESTING – AND THE YARNS LOOK FANTASTIC. I HAVE RIBBON AND COTTON YARN AND I WOULD LIKE TO MAKE THIS COWL SO ANY HELP WILL BE APPRECIATED.

THANKS.

LENORE

6. virginia beaumier says:

I would just love to knit this cowl–however I need directions and what is a dropped stitch row7
    Ginny

7. Juice says:

What a GREAT idea! So much unused yarn/ends and now I know just what to do with all of them thanks to
    Your creativity. Thank you so much for opening my eyes.
    Juice

8. Sherry says:

Hi there, Nicole
    Love the ideas gives me starting point to be creative with knitting…Love it…
    Also this is a great way to use up your left over yarns and other material leftovers from other projects.
    I am not an experinced knitter I need a little help with the drop stitch never done it before…. My other question is due to the difference in canadain styles with others the instructions can be somewhat confusing. Can you e-mail me the pattern and more instructions?
    Also I would like to knit this for my 11 yearold son as scarfs are dangerious. The pattern needs to be adaptable for childrens sizes to adults as well. Great Gift idea…. Thank you very much for all your help.
    Sherry

9. Mrs.Greiner(PAN) call me PAN says:

Hi Nicole…iwas wondering if you got my order.I wrote you a note with my order. Let me know if you received it….if not I will call. My email is Panray@aol.com. It is 8:40pm sat. Eve. Tomorrow is Palm Sunday..have a blessed day. Love Pan…ps….I have finished my 20th purse and no divorce yet…ha.ha

10. Mrs.Greiner(PAN) call me PAN says:

Nicole…how would madly monet work up as a poncho? If you think it would be good please send me nine skeins like before. I made the one like yours and everybody loves it..it is Tuesday July 10 2012 at 3:47 pm. Hope you had a great vacation with that good looking guy of yours..love pan

11. Valerie Byrne says:

Can you e-mail me how to do the drop stitch please. Thank you. Great idea.

12. Miss barbara says:

I love this. I’ll be selecting my yarns within the hour!!!