Darn Good You

August 15, 2011

Good morning my dears!

Good weekend? Great weekend? I got to hang out with the official hubby of DGY, so that’s always good.

Today though, I want to introduce you something that was thought up by a few of us on Facebook. I know some of you have side-Etsy stores, or maybe you sell at craft fairs and farmers’ markets. Maybe you’ve been toying with the idea. So, I think we need to come together and share our wealth of knowledge but keep it on a dedicated portion of this site.

…drum roll….

Introducing “Darn Good You”.

Darn Good You will be a portion of my blog where we can talk about anything from running a business to and while juggling a house. I think the best way to start this is by posting some questions below…YES YOU! Ask anything that has to do with running and owning a home-based business. I’ll post the question as a blog post. I’ll put my two cents into the post and then you all can post back and forth on that topic. I will also open up the floor for guest bloggers as well.

I think this will be a great resource for those of you on the fence, over the fence, building the fence..well you get the picture.

So, post those questions below and let’s make a Darn Good You!

xoxo

Nicole

1. Where does a person start as far as taxes go? When do I need a license and stuff? I am very intimidated by all of that.

• Teira says:

I had the same question, however I am in Canada. I know the rules will vary by geographic region so a rule of thumb is a great place to start

2. Teira says:

This is such great timing!

I do have a few questions, which I’m sure will turn into a few more.

I spin my own yarn and would like to start selling it, but am not sure where to start. I do have an Etsy shop, but sadly no bites yet.

How did you get involved with the “company” that you get your sari silk from?

Where did you start with getting your Business discovered? Did you start at Farmers Markets, etc..?

I don’t have a lot of time to actually go places to sell my yarn, but do have evenings free to devote to building an online business.

I would like to join forces with either other Yarn Spinners, or knitters/crocheter’s to create a “Handmade Craft Shop”. I would like to also sell different types of needles, hooks and spinning accessories. How do you make contact with manufacturers to start selling their products?

Did you build your website and do you maintain it yourself? How user friendly is it?

OK…I’ll stop now, but will watch for your thoughts and comments. I totally appreciate you starting this topic. Can’t wait to see other people’s questions and comments.

Cheers!

3. Kathleen says:

Thank you for the venue to share ideas.
    I have been making jewelry for about five years, (selling primarily at markets, home shows, and festivals) and have, this year, added knitted and crocheted items to my online shop. I want to concentrate on my Etsy shop, which I have kind of neglected for some time. My worst, absolutely hardest thing is marketing, answering that What will shoppers type into search to find your item? question. My mind goes completely blank.

4. Alison says:

I make baby signature quilts and would like to sell some of them I live in Australia and do not no where to start.

5. Stacey says:

I’m thinking of eventually opening a yarn shop – not sure where yet, but would like it to be in a small town that has an historic section and good tourism. The main idea is to have a nice place for ladies to gather and knit, crochet and share ideas. And, buy my yarn and supplies, of course! But, it needs to be ‘homey’ and friendly and helpful. My main area of fright is getting a business loan. I had a bankruptcy two years ago and last year I had to short sell my home. :( Do you think I’ll have to wait until it all comes off??? That could be 7 years! Right now my score is around 650. Anyone who has advise, I would appreciate it!

6. Sue says:

I raise angora rabbits and harvest the wool for spinning. I would love to be able to supply someone with wool for crafting yarn or whatever they want, have advertised on etsy, but no bites there. I have German, Giant and French Angoras, in chocolate, white, lilac, creamy tan and charcoal gray (black bunnies give gray wool). I would be willing to connect with someone who is interested in purchasing my wool, spinning and selling or using the yarn.
    Would love suggestions or interested parties to contact me.

7. Jennifer says:

I would love to retail different yarns and knitting and crocheting supplies at craft shows, festivals and charity fundraisers in my area of the US – traveling yarn show. I don’t spin or weave or raise critters of my own and I don’t want to get into that side of the business (no time to do so). But I’d love to sell yarns and supplies as a traveling business. Any thoughts?