Archive for July, 2009...
July 5, 2009
It’s a one skein knitting contest. Here are the rules, you can only use one ball of DGY’s Premium Recycled Silk (100g) and US size 11 needles. Create an original pattern, submit the pattern with a few pictures of your craft. If you can incorporate recycled items (like plastic bottle caps as buttons that’s cool too!).
The stipulation I have is that I can use it in our new line of kits but you will get props as the creator!
I’m going to choose a winner by the end of third week of July. The winner will be announced and will get a $50 gift certificate to Darn Good Yarn.
This is the kit if you need it. It’s $14.99 with FREE Shipping. You’ll receive one ball of DGY’s Premium Recycled Silk Yarn, plastic needle, 1 pair of size 11 circular needles, and a nice white organza bag to hold everything! So it’s a sweet deal even if you don’t enter your project.
July 5, 2009
My name is Nicole, I thought up and launched Darn Good Yarn back in 2008. I can’t take credit for the name though. My friend Beth was brain storming with me one day and she sarcastically typed (because we were messaging each other), “how about Darn Good Yarn…hahahaha”. Well, obviously I liked that name!
So, here I am! I’m going to take you on a cool journey. I hope it inspires you!
This blog is not just about crafting but how I like to live life… ok yes, I’ll admit it… it might be slightly skewed towards my slightly ridiculous obsession with recycled silk yarn but you’re going to get a lot out of this blog… so get your RSS feed on or sign up for our newsletter.
I’m going to bring you:
- free knitting and crafting patterns
- feature independent artists (fiber and other mediums too)
- share my favorite organizing tips
- and yes, I think once in a while I’m going to talk about my Mini Schnauzer, Squeakers.
So, a little about me aside from Darn Good Yarn.
- I’m a wife to the most awesome person in the world! And he even eats the sometimes drop-dead awful meals I make him- He’s a cool dude and I’m his biggest fan in the whole world. So, I’ll paint you an example of his awesomeness. On one of his very rare days off, I had to work, and my office where Darn Good Yarn lives, was getting out of hand. He took his whole day off and “Feng Shui”-ed the heck out of it, organized it everything. Like, I didn’t even mention to him it was driving me totally nuts.
- I’m an executive/personal assistant for a commercial real estate investor. So, from that part of my life, I’m going to share what I learn as far as organizing and getting tons of stuff done in no time.
- I love my yoga class. I started yoga in college (I went to Clarkson Univeristy in upstate NY) and then I stopped when I went into the Air Force. Well fast forward a few years: you know when you have one of those friends in your life who does everything under the sun…really really well. Well, my friend Wanda said why did you stop if you liked doing it so much… good question. So, I’ve finally gotten back into it and my headstands are better than ever.
July 3, 2009
Well, it’s been a long time coming.
No one tells you when you own your own business you don’t have to everything yourself… I totally missed that memo. I was trying to be photographer (which I still am) and website coder and shipper. I tried and tried and tried and then I realized I needed help….professional help.
So, Tim, a shoutout to you an your team at Aarfie.
So, I incorporated my favorite color… I’ll give you three guesses!
I’ve put a ton of love into the redesign and I hope that you find our new site not just a place to get your favorite unique yarn for your crafting adventures; but you use it as a resource to check out the free patterns, find out what artists I’m featuring are doing, organizing tips and anything else I can think of to make your day easier (think meditation and guest appearances from my favorite yoga instructor Wanda).
And yes, I love love love hearing what you have to say… so you see that comments section below? Well, fill it out and share your voice!
So what do you think?